Saturday, April 2, 2011

Keeping A Budget in mind Part II

I know that yesterday I wrote about keeping a budget in mind while in Las Vegas. I know it will make me sound like a broken record, but I can't stress this topic enough. Rather leaving most Vegas travelers on their own, here are a few pointers that I like to live by when visiting my favorite city in the country:
  • Keep taxi rides to a minimum. Most of them will average about $20 or so (That's one way with tip, usually for me). I try to limit my taxi rides to four a visit: One to and from the airport and downtown. That's it. Also, if taxi is your mode of transportation from the airport to a resort on the strip, keep off the interstate. Like many other experienced Vegas travelers, this could be the difference between a $10 ride and a $20+ ride. Just tell the driver "...take me to [hotel on the strip], but please take Paradise Rd." Now, there is not guarantee that it will save money (traffic, etc), but it's definitely more likely to be cheaper than the interstate.
  • Be mindful of beverage purchases. Most bars/nightclubs can be very expensive. A few years ago, I spent nearly $15 on a beer at a nightclub. $15 a beer?! Yep. Remember, drinks are free if your gambling, unless you tip your waitress (which I always recommend doing.) Throw a few bucks on a table or in a slot and play until a drink arrives, then cash out. Simple. Some bars on the strip or state liquor stores will have $1 domestics or $1.50 beers. Bottom line: Don't spend more than you need to...unless you can afford to splurge on crystal at a nightclub =)
  • Finally, always consider signing up for all the resorts' rewards programs. These are a great way to earn comps at your favorite Las Vegas resorts. I've linked a few of them below, and they are a great way to earn free drinks, show tickets, meals, and even nights at the resort. I encourage everyone to partake in what these fine establishments have to offer their guests.
Remember, be smart, play responsible, and have fun!

7s

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Although a very passionate entrepreneur in the fields of marketing and music, I also hold a daily full-time job as an analyst. I've had the opportunity to travel to Las Vegas several times since turning 18. Sure, I've been there often, and there are no signs of stopping. Remember, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.